This is a complete guide on UAN Number (Universal Account Number).
In this comprehensive guide we will cover:
What is UAN Number?
UAN number is a 12-digit identification number. It is assigned to you and your employer so that each one of you can contribute to your EPF account easily. UAN number is assigned by the EPFO – Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation.
Notably, you and your employer are assigned two different UAN numbers. Once generated, the number remains constant throughout the time the company remains in business and through the number of your employment years. The number is not changed no matter how many jobs you change.
Every time you switch a job, the EPFO will provide you with a new identification number (ID) and link it to your existing EPFO account (UAN). But you need to intimate the organisation for this. You can do it either by asking the EPFO directly, or your employer can also do it on your behalf.
Also Read: What is CIN Number
Why do you need a UAN Number?
A UAN number identifies the EPF – Employee Provident Fund and helps in keeping it safe. The various PF accounts started for you by your different employees come under one single UAN number.
You can only access it. In a way, the unique identification method aids in keeping the deposits in your PF account secure. It also simplifies the process of checking your PF account.
How to check UAN Number?
You can find the UAN number in two ways. First, by getting it through your employer. However, most employers print the UAN number on salary slips. The second way is by using the UAN portal.
The following are the steps to find a UAN number:
Checking with Employer: typically, if it is your first employer, he will notify you about your UAN number. However, if he fails to share the same with you, you can get it from your salary slip. Since there are deductions in your salary towards PF contributions, the number will be shown in the salary slip. It is a common protocol followed by most Indian companies. Thus, you can easily check your UAN number on the salary slips.
Finding on UAN Website: for this,
- You first need to log on to the UAN portal – https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/
- Now, click on Know your UAN Status.
- Enter your necessary details, such as PAN number, Aadhar number, etc. Or you can also fill a form on the basis of your member ID (you can ask your organisation for this).
- If you have entered member ID or PF number, fill the state and EPFO office from the dropdown and submit. Or you can also use your PAN or Aadhar number to search UAN number.
- Enter the other mandatory details, such as your name, mobile number, date of birth, and captcha.
- Then click on Get Authorization Pin and enter the pin received on your number.
- Click on see the UAN number and get your number via SMS on your number.
Benefits of UAN Number
If your salary is deducted from your Employee Provident Fund account, you will certainly get a Unique Identification Number. However, this was not the case earlier. Every employee was allotted a new and unique number for each PF account opened for him by different employers.
The UAN number came into effect on October 1, 2014. The main aim of this step was to make it easy and convenient for employees to access their PF account.
UAN number is about simplifying your PF transactions. Through it, you can manage all your PF accounts at one place, irrespective of how many jobs you change during your entire employment journey.
It not only provides you with easy and safe access to your PF account but also prevents you from saving and remembering various passwords and account details.
How is UAN changing things?
The number essentially is generated at the beginning of your career, and it helps you organise all your PF accounts simultaneously over the years. If you are employed before 2014, you can port your account.
UAN Number Features
- Working towards easing the employee verification process, UAN works towards putting all the employee data at one place.
- To activate the UAN number, you will have to provide identity and bank account details. Based on this detail, the verification process will take place.
- The UAN number informs your existing and new employers about your PF history.
UAN Number Benefits
- You can transfer and withdraw your PF money anytime through the UAN number.
- Both you and your employer can manage the record of your PF account in a hassle-free manner through the online UAN portal.
- The employer can validate your PF requests and submit your PF deductions easily through the UAN portal.
- It brings all the KYC and PF details at one place.
How are the Employees Benefitted from UAN?
The UAN portal has several benefits for the employees as well:
- You can check PF balance anytime from the comfort of your home or any other place.
- The UAN portal is secure as it is linked to your KYC and Aadhar. You can use the portal via your mobile phone to check your balance by directly sending an SMS.
- The UAN number is your identification. It is independent of all employers.
- Only you can access your account which is based on your KYC details.
- You get the access to track your PF account. You can check if your employer is crediting the PF amount in your account every month or not and that too based on the deductions.
How to generate UAN Number?
Your first employer will generate your UAN number. For this, he will ask your documents, and it is a one-time process. The number remains unchanged once generated. It stays with you during your entire employment years.
The documents required for UAN number generation are as follows:
- Bank account number, branch name, and IFSC code
- ID proof – passport, Aadhar card, voter ID, driving license, etc.
- Address proof – ration card, photo ID card, etc.
- PAN card
- Aadhar card
- ESIC card, if you have an account
In case your employer has not generated the UAN number, but he is contributing to your PF, then you can generate your UAN number by your own. You can follow the simple steps mentioned above for the same.
How to activate UAN Number?
Once your UAN number is generated, you need to activate your UAN account by following the steps mentioned below:
- Visit the official UAN portal and click on activate UAN
- On the page shown, activate the UAN using your UAN, PAN, and Aadhar number.
- Next, enter your details and your mobile number.
- A verification pin will be sent on your number. Enter the same and click on Authorise and Activate.
You can also activate your UAN number through the EPFO App. You need to download the UMANG App (Unified Mobile Application for New-age Governance) which has UAN services among the other 213 services.
The App is available for Android as well as iOS users and can be downloaded easily from the Google Play Store and App Store. Or you can give a missed call on 9718397183 to get the downloading link on your number.
Another way to activating UAN is by sending an SMS. Just SMS EPFOHO UAN to 7738299899. You will receive messages after this request, and you need to reply based on the options accepted. With a few minutes, you will be informed about the UAN activation status.
The Indian government has made it mandatory to link Aadhar and UAN number. In case you have not yet linked your Aadhar with your UAN number at the time of its generation, you can do it now. Just follow the following simple steps to link Aadhar and UAN online or offline:
- Offline: EPFO offers an Aadhar linking application form that you need to fill with your Aadhar and IAN number. You also need to enter your details and attach the self-attested copies of your PAN, Aadhar, and UAN card with the hard copy of the form. Next, submit all the documents to the EPFO centre or CSC (Common Services Centres). Once the information is verified and registered, the UAN will be linked with the Aadhar, and you will be informed about the same.
- Online: to link Aadhar and UAN online, you need to enter your UAN number and mobile number to generate an OTP. After providing the OTP, enter the Aadhar number and specify gender. Choose the OTP verification step for successfully generating and verifying Aadhar. Then, click on the submit button. The UAN and Aadhar will be linked within 15 days.
Facilities available on UAN Portal
The following are the facilities available on the portal:
- Downloading the UAN card
- Viewing and downloading UAN passbook
- Get the list of all the IDs (current and previous)
- Update KYC at any point in time
- Check eligibility online
- Edit personal details
- Link UAN and Aadhar, if not done earlier or offline
- Request for PF transfer, withdrawal, and claim partial withdrawal.
How to Check PF Balance with UAN Number?
In general, employers share your PF balance status every year (at the end of the financial year). However, if you wish to check the same before time, then you can use the following methods for the same:
- Through EPFO Portal: for this, visit www.epfindia.gov.in/. Select the For Employees tab. Click on Member Passbook Facility page. Now, enter the UAN number, password, and the captcha code to get immediate access to your passbook. Notably, the members of the establishment are exempted under the RPF scheme 1952. They will not get access to the passbook facility.
- Through SMS Facility: for this step, you need to message EPFOHO UAN to 7738299899. Once the message is sent successfully, you can select the options in the reply. And based on your replies, your passbook will be sent to you via SMS.
- Through Missed Call: give a missed call on 011-22901406 from the mobile number registered with the portal. The balance details will be sent on the registered number.
Through UMANG App: download the UMANG App from the Google Play Store or Apple App store. Click on the Employee Centric Services. Enter the UAN and login with the OTP sent on your number. Next, you can check your PF passbook on the App and also raise a claim or track it if any initiated.
Do you know ZipLoan offers unsecured business loan for small businesses at best interest rates?