The Universal Account Number, or UAN, is a 12-digit number assigned to each employee who contributes to the EPF. The Employee Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) generates and distributes it, and the Ministry of Labour and Employment, Government of India, authenticates it.
An employee’s UAN remains constant throughout their career, regardless of how many positions they hold.
When an employee changes jobs, EPFO assigns a new member identification number or EPF Account (ID) linked to the UAN number. You can seek a new member ID as an employee by presenting your UAN to your new employer.
Once the member ID is formed, it is linked to the employee’s UAN. As a result, the UAN will serve as a catch-all for the several Member Ids assigned to the individual by various employers.
How to Obtain Your UAN Number
Generally, your employer will assign you a Universal Account Number following the EPFO. Some employers also print the UAN number on the pay stubs.
Using the UAN Portal and your PF number/member ID
If you are unable to receive your Universal Account Number from your company, you can do so via the UAN site. You must take the following steps:
- Step 1: Navigate to the UAN Portal at https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/.
- Step 2: Select the ‘Know your UAN’ link. The following page will be displayed.
- Step 3: For verification, provide your registered mobile number and captcha. And then click the ‘Request OTP’ button.
- Step 4: For verification, provide your Name, DOB, PAN/Aadhaar/member ID, and captcha. And then click the ‘Show my UAN’ button.
- Step 5: A PIN will be sent to your cell phone. Enter your PIN and then press the ‘Validate OTP and get UAN’ button.
- Step 6: Your Universal Account Number will be emailed to you.
Documents needed to open a UAN
If you have just started working for your first registered firm, you will need the following documents to obtain your Unique Account Number.
- Account information includes the account number, IFSC code, and branch name.
- ID evidence includes any photo-affixed and national identity cards, such as a driver’s license, passport, voter ID, Aadhaar, and SSLC Book.
- Address proof: A recent utility bill in your name, a rental/lease agreement, a ration card, or any of the ID proofs listed above that shows your present address.
- PAN card: Your PAN should be associated with your UAN.
- Aadhaar card: It is required because Aadhaar is linked to a bank account and a mobile phone.
- The ESIC card
How to Enable UAN
When you’ve never verified your PF balance, use the Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) portal to activate your UAN.
- Go to the EPFO website and, in the bottom-right corner, click Activate UAN.
- Enter your UAN, name, birth date, mobile number, and captcha text. Then click the Get Authorization Pin button.
- On your mobile number, you will immediately receive a one-time password (OTP). Make a copy.
- Verify all of the information on the EPFO page, then click the checkbox next to I Agree.
- Copy the OTP from your phone and paste it next to Enter OTP, then click Validate OTP and Activate UAN.
- This will activate your UAN and send the password to your cell phone number. You will still have to wait six hours before you can use the EPFO portal to check your PF balance. You can check your PF balance six hours after activating UAN.
Connecting Aadhaar to UAN
After you log in to your EPF account, you must seed your information in UAN. To link your UAN to Aadhaar, follow these steps:
- Log in to the EPF member portal to access your EPF account.
- In the “Manage” area, select the “KYC” option.
- Tick the box next to Aadhaar, then input your 12-digit Aadhaar number and name.
- Now select the “Save” option.
- Your request will be posted in the “KYC Pending Approval” section.
- When UIDAI confirms your information, your current employer’s name appears in “Approved by Establishment,” and “Verified by UIDAI” appears against your Aadhaar.
UAN Key Benefits
- The UAN number aids in the consolidation of employee data across the country.
- One of the most important applications of this unique number is that it reduces the burden of employment verification imposed on enterprises and employers by EPF organizations.
- With the use of this account, EPFO was able to extract the bank account details and KYC of the member and KYC without the assistance of the employers.
- EPFO can use it to track an employee’s frequent employment changes.
- With the implementation of the UAN number, the number of untimely and early EPF withdrawals has decreased significantly.
Employee Benefits from UAN
Every new PF account associated with a new job will be consolidated into a single unified account.
With this number, it is easy to withdraw (totally or partially) PF online.
Using this unique account number, employees can move their PF balance from one account to another.
You can get a PF statement (visa purpose, loan security, etc.) at any time by checking in with your member ID for UAN or by sending an SMS.
If your UAN is already Aadhaar and KYC-verified, future employers do not need to confirm your profile.
UAN assures that employers cannot access or withhold their employees’ PF funds.
Frequently Asked Questions
UAN registration is required to use EPFO’s online services. As a result, UAN registration is only done online.
An organization with 20 or more employees must create UAN for its employees (with salaries of 15,000/- and above). After activation, both contractual and full-time employees can use UAN services online.
If your Aadhaar is not linked to your UAN, you will be unable to transfer funds or request withdrawals. You must mandatory seed your Aadhaar using your UAN.