GST or Goods and Services Tax is the new tax regime being followed in India. Under this new tax regime, every business or individual that provides goods and services needs to register itself with GST.
So, if you too provide goods and services and have an annual turnover of more than Rs. 20 lakhs, you require GST registration in India.
After you register for GST, you will receive a GST registration number – GSTIN (Goods and Services Tax Identification Number). It is a 15-digit number that is issued by the Central Government, state-wise.
The advantages of GST registration are manifold; one of the biggest ones is that you will get a legal identity as a business owner or supplier. Besides, you can also avail input tax credit and collect GST from your customers.
GST Registration Documents List
The following are the documents you will require while filling the GST application:
- PAN card
- PAN card/voter ID/ Aadhar Card of the partner(s) or promoter(s)
- Company incorporation certificate or partnership deed
- Address proof of the company – rent or lease agreement, electricity bills, etc.
- Bank account statement of the business or individual
Read Also: GST State Code List
GST Registration Process
It is very easy to register for GST through the online GST registration portal. Let’s take a look at the easy steps for GST registration process online:
- Visit the GST portal.
- Got to Services tab >> Registration >> New Registration.
- From the drop-down menu, select ‘taxpayer’.
- Next, select your UT and district from the drop-down menu.
- Fill the GST REG-01 form with details, such as the name of the business, email address, PAN card, and mobile number.
- Verify the information entered by entering OTP sent on the mobile number registered.
- After completing this process, move to Part B. You will receive a TRN – Temporary Reference Number, you need to note down the same.
GST Registration Process – PART – B
- Start Part B by logging in with the TRN and CAPTCHA code.
- Complete the OTP verification with the OPT send over registered email or mobile number. Next, you will be redirected to the registration page.
- Now, submit all the business information, like company name, PAN, state name, business commencement date, etc. You also need to mention all the existing registrations.
- Provide the details of the partners or promoters of the company. In case of proprietorship firm, submit the details of the proprietor. Also provide the personal details, such as designation, DIN, Aadhar number, and PAN.
- Submit the details of the person you want to authorise to file GST returns for your company.
- Add the principal business place, address, contact details, and other information required.
- Add details of the additional business places, goods and services details being produced or supplied, and the company bank account details.
- Upload the soft copies of all the documents.
- The last step is to click on save and continue. Notably, you need to sign the application digitally through DIN and then click on submit details.
After the submission of the application and documents, you will receive an ARN – Application reference Number via SMS or an email.
You can consider the same for future reference. Significantly, GST registration fees are nil, i.e. it is free of cost to register for GST.