Now to get a new PAN card, filling up the detailed application form is not required anymore. This has been possible due to the income tax department issuing an instant new PAN card online through Aadhar based E- KYC.
The decision of creating the PAN application online was taken in this financial budget through an official announcement by the finance minister Nirmala Sitharaman to ease out the application process and allotment of the PAN to the people
In this blog, we will get to know, how to apply for a PAN card instantly.
The instant e-PAN card application has replaced the 2-page application form, for which the applicant had to wait for a few days. The only requirement to apply for an instant PAN card is the ‘Aadhar number’ after which an OTP is sent on the applicant’s Aadhar linked mobile number for the completion of the E – KYC process.
Table of Contents
What is an Instant PAN Card?
Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman on May 28, 2020 officially launched the instant Permanent Account Number (PAN) facility which uses Aadhaar number based e-KYC. The beta facility was earlier launched in February 2020 on the income tax department’s e-filing website. The is a paperless, real-time basis facility.
Steps to apply for an Instant PAN through Aadhar
- Visit the income tax department’s e – filing portal and click on ‘Instant PAN through Aadhar’ on the left-hand side under ‘Quick Links’
- Click on the ‘Get New PAN’ on the new page
- Enter the Aadhar number & the Captcha code to generate an OTP on your Aadhar registered mobile phone
- Validate OTP, Aadhar, and the Email ID
- The E – KYC data of the Aadhar number is transferred to the Unique Identification Authority of India and an instant e – PAN is allotted to you
- PAN can be easily downloaded in PDF format by submitting the Aadhar number at ‘Check Status/Download PAN. If your PAN is also registered with your email, then you can get the PAN in PDF via email.
Features of e-PAN Card
- The provisions relating to Digital PAN Card are under Section 139A (8) (c) of the Income Tax Act, 1961.
- This facility is limited to only Individuals.
- Digital PAN Card is 100% Valid Proof.
- The Income Tax Department has stated that an individual’s demographics like Name, Date of Birth, and other details will be there.
- It will also contain an enhanced QR code which can be utilized for PAN verification if the mode is off-line.
- Biometrics of an individual- signature and scanned photo will also be there.
Benefits of Applying for PAN Online
- The entire PAN application process is completed and the PAN gets issued in 10 minutes
- To have a physical copy it can be received as a laminated card just by ordering a reprint which costs only 50 Rs.
- No other documents are required to be uploaded on the portal.
Eligibility Criteria for Application
- Only those applicants are eligible who have never been allotted a PAN before
- E- PAN facility is not available for the minors
E-PAN is a valid proof of PAN as it contains the QR code which has the demographic details of the PAN applicant such as name, date of birth, and photograph.
It has been duly recognized by Notification No. 7 dated 27 Dec 2018, issued by the Principal Director General of Income – Tax.
Pan Card or Aadhar Card alone won’t get you business loan but will help you to verify your identity.
Here’s how to get an instant PAN card using the facility:
1) Open the e-filing website of the Income Tax Department.
2) Click on the tab ‘Get New PAN’.
3) Enter your 12-digit Aadhaar number.
4) Submit the OTP generated on the Aadhaar registered mobile number.
5) A 15-digit acknowledgment number will be generated.
6) Enter the other details asked for in the user info.
7) Once allotted, you can download an e-PAN card from the portal.
Yes, e-PAN is a valid proof of PAN. e-PAN contains a QR code having demographic details of PAN applicant such as name, date of birth and photograph.
1) This facility can be availed by those PAN holders whose latest PAN application was processed through NSDL e-Gov or have obtained PAN using ‘Instant e-PAN’ facility on e-filling portal of ITD.
2) Download e-PAN card free of cost (For PANs allotted/changes confirmed by ITD in last 30 days).
Yes, the signature is necessary for PAN card. A PAN card without a signature is not considered valid and not eligible for online PAN verification.
Once you have applied for a PAN Card through any of the channels, it takes about 15 days for the application process. The card is then sent to you via India Post Speed Post to the official communication address mentioned on the application form.
It is mandatory to link Aadhaar with PAN card by December 31.
eSign stands for electronic signature. It is a paperless mode of signing documents online. eSign Electronic Signature Service enables any Aadhaar-holder to electronically sign documents using Aadhaar eKYC services.
You May Also Like: